Louisville Medical Malpractice Attorney
The last thing that anybody should have to worry about when they need to seek medical assistance is that they will be harmed by the careless or negligent actions of a healthcare professional. Unfortunately, medical errors are one of the leading causes of death in the United States. At the Law Offices of Hendy | Johnson | Vaughn | Emery, we are here to help if you or a loved one had been injured due to medical error. Our Louisville medical malpractice attorneys will investigate your case and work to secure any compensation you are entitled to.
Why choose Hendy Johnson Vaughn Emery for this case?
For medical malpractice lawsuits, you need an attorney with vast experience handling complex personal injury cases. The team at Hendy | Johnson | Vaughn | Emery is ready to get to work.
- We have a proven track record of success in standing up to aggressive insurance carriers and major corporations, having secured billions of dollars in compensation for our clients.
- We are committed to consistent, transparent communication with every client. You always have access to your attorney to ask questions or raise concerns about your case.
- We take Louisville medical malpractice cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients pay nothing until we secure the compensation they deserve.
How will an attorney help a medical malpractice case?
Medical malpractice cases are notoriously complex, and an injured individual likely does not have the legal experience or resources necessary to properly pursue compensation. A skilled Louisville medical malpractice attorney will be responsible for every aspect of your case. This includes:
- Obtaining all evidence related to the mistake and looking into the history of the medical professional and facility involved.
- Ensuring that the client receives skilled medical care and that their total expected medical costs are properly calculated.
- Negotiating with all parties involved, including aggressive insurance carriers, to secure the compensation the victim needs.
How often do medical mistakes occur?
According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, medical errors are the in this country – approximately 250,000 annual deaths. This accounts for approximately 10% of all deaths in the United States each year, according to researchers.
This data only shows us part of the overall picture, because millions more are injured due to medical errors and survive. Victims are often left dealing with immense consequences of these medical errors.
What are the most common types of medical mistakes?
There are many types of medical mistakes that can occur and cause significant patient harm. Some of the most common medical errors that we help clients with include:
- Medication errors. This can include a patient receiving the wrong medication, the wrong dosage of their medication, or not receiving their medication at all.
- Healthcare-acquired infections. Studies indicate that approximately 1.7 million people acquire infections while receiving treatment for medical or surgical conditions each year.
- Misdiagnosis or a failure to diagnose. Researchers at Johns Hopkins say that diagnostic mistakes cause more patient harm than any other medical error.
- Delays in treatment. Whether due to a diagnosis issue or an overworked system, delays in treatment can lead to significant patient harm.
- Inadequate follow-up treatment. Medical professionals must properly follow up with patients in order to ensure that the treatment is effective.
- Surgical or anesthesia mistakes. Any mistake made in surgery can be detrimental to a patient, including operating on the wrong body part, leaving foreign objects inside of a patient, inadequate calculation of anesthesia, and more.
What is the statute of limitations for a Louisville medical malpractice case?
Each state is responsible for setting time limits that victims have to file medical malpractice lawsuits. It is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible as there are specific statute of limitations for each type of case which sets time limitations in which to file a lawsuit or your potential case will be forever barred.
Please contact the attorneys at Hendy Johnson Vaughn Emery to discuss your potential case and the applicable statute of limitations.
How much compensation is available for this case?
The total amount of compensation that a victim of a medical mistake receives will vary depending on specific factors related to their case. However, it is not uncommon for medical malpractice victims to receive the following types of compensation for their claim:
- Coverage of all medical expenses related to the error(s)
- Coverage of lost income and benefits if you cannot work
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages against the healthcare provider/agency responsible
Are there caps on damages for these cases?
Many states place caps on how much a person can receive in compensation for medical malpractice cases, particularly for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering. However, there are currently no caps on medical malpractice damages in Kentucky. This means that victims of medical mistakes can recover any financial losses that are attributed to the mistake, which is why it is so important to have a skilled medical malpractice attorney fighting on your behalf.
When you need a Louisville medical malpractice attorney, the team at the Law Offices of Hendy | Johnson | Vaughn | Emery is ready to get to work. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling us at (859) 578-4444.