How to Get a Motor Vehicle Accident Report in Kentucky

Car Accidents | April 10, 2023

If you get injured in a motor vehicle accident, you should always report the crash to the police. State law in Kentucky requires drivers to immediately report any car accident that results in injury, death or more than $500 in property damage to law enforcement. Otherwise, drivers must submit written reports to the Kentucky State Police themselves within 10 days. Obtaining a copy of this report can help you during the car insurance claims process.

How to Create a Car Accident Report

After a car accident, assess yourself and others for injuries, then evaluate the property damage. If you suspect any injuries, see anyone unconscious or believe there is more than $500 worth of property damage, call 911 from the scene immediately to report the crash. When the police arrive, give them your version of events. Do not admit fault for the accident. The responding police officer will fill out a report with the following types of information:

  • Time, date and location of the car accident
  • A description of the road and weather conditions
  • Descriptions of all vehicles involved (make, year and model)
  • License plate numbers and registration status
  • Names of all drivers and parties involved
  • Names of eyewitnesses and their phone numbers
  • The officer’s opinion on the cause of the crash, in some cases

Ask for your police report number and write down the police officer’s name before you leave the scene. If the crash was not serious enough to require a police investigation, you are still required to file a written car accident report with the Kentucky State Police within 10 days. You can complete the Civilian Traffic Collision Report online or get a copy from the police station and fill it out by hand. Failure to submit this report in time could lead to a fine or the suspension of your driver’s license.

How to Obtain a Copy of a Motor Vehicle Accident Report in Kentucky

When you file a car accident insurance claim, the insurance company will ask you questions about the crash. One of these questions is typically whether you called the police, and if so, what the police report number is so that the insurer can access the document. You may also need to obtain a copy of the document yourself, either for insurance purposes or for your attorney if you plan on pursuing a car accident personal injury claim in Kentucky. A copy of the police report can serve as important evidence during the claims process. 

If you filled out your own traffic accident report, make two copies and keep one for your records. If the police came to the scene of the accident and took down a report for you, you will need to contact the Kentucky State Police Department to request a copy. Copies of police reports are typically available within 10 days of the crash. The police department will keep motor vehicle crash forms for three years so that either driver can access a copy in the future, if necessary. 

Call the police station in the county where your car accident took place. You will need to provide the police or accident report number, the last name of one of the drivers who were involved in the crash, and the date the report was filed. You will also need to pay a $10 fee. The State of Kentucky has partnered with a third party to handle requests for copies of car accident reports to make the process easier. You can access this site directly at LexisNexis BuyCrash to view your report online or request a printed version be mailed to you.

How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help

Contacting a car accident attorney soon after your crash can make it easier for you to gather supporting evidence, including a copy of your motor vehicle accident report. Your attorney can collect copies of important records, documents and photographs for you while you focus on healing from your injuries. To find out if you have grounds for a personal injury claim, contact HJV Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case consultation after a harmful car accident.

Contact the Louisville Car Accident Law Firm of HJV Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

For more information, don’t hesitate to contact HJV Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with a car accident lawyer in Louisville today. We have two convenient locations in Louisville and Fort Mitchell, Kentucky.

We proudly serve Jefferson County, Kenton County, and its surrounding areas:

HJV Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyers – Louisville, KY Office
600 W Main St Ste 200
Louisville, KY, 40202
(502) 540-5700

HJV Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyers – Fort Mitchell, KY Office
2380 Grandview Dr
Fort Mitchell, KY, 41017
(859) 578-4444

Call Now Button